Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Information for parents/guardians of students who are identified as a close contact of a COVID-19 positive case

This is important information from WA Health and hopefully is supportive to parents and families:
Students and staff who may have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 will be contacted directly by WA Health.

If your son/daughter has been identified as a close contact of a person who has been diagnosed with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), they must stay home for at least 7 days from their last time/date of contact with a positive case of COVID-19, or as advised by WA Health.

This letter provides important information about COVID-19 and what you need to do. 

Does my son/daughter need to stay at home all the time?
Your son/daughter should not leave your home or accommodation unless you need to seek urgent medical attention or escape an immediate threat to their safety or your safetyYour son/daughter should not attend public places. Your son/daughter should not attend school.
If a student needs care throughout their self-quarantine period, the parent/guardian will need to quarantine with them. Families should choose one parent or guardian to quarantine with the child for the entire quarantine period. Switching parents or guardians is discouraged. If a sibling or other child cannot adequately separate from the close contact, that sibling or child should also quarantine with the parent or guardian and close contact.
Some older children may be able to quarantine independently in a separate area of the house if they do not require hands-on care.
If the student tests positive for COVID-19, a parent, guardian or sibling quarantining with the student will be at risk of developing COVID-19 and you will be required to complete an additional quarantine period as directed by WA Health.
Your son/daughter’s legal quarantine requirements are set out in the COVID Transition (Testing and Isolation) Directions, which can be found online at:
What about people who live with me and my son/daughter?
Please see the fact sheet for information on how to manage at home and protect the people who live with you, which can be found at

What do I do if my son/daughter develops symptoms of COVID-19?
If you or your son/daughter develop symptoms at any time, you/your son/daughter should attend your nearest COVID-19 clinic for a test. PCR testing can be accessed at a COVID Clinic: Where possible a PCR test is preferred. If you are symptomatic and choose to use a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) instead and, if the initial test is negative, you will need to repeat it 24 hours later.
If you need assistance, contact the Public Health Operations Team on 1300 316 555, available 7 days a week between 8:00am and 7:45pm.  
When can my son/daughter leave isolation?
Your son/daughter can leave isolation after:

  • a negative PCR or RAT on or after day 6 (PCR preferred); and
  • has not developed any symptoms; and
  • 7 days have passed since their last contact with a positive case of COVID-19.

If your son/daughter develops symptoms during their period of quarantine, they must have a PCR test.
Your son/daughter should not enter any high-risk settings (unless specifically authorised to do so or for emergency medical treatment) for the first 7 days after you come out of isolation. High risk settings include aged care facilities, residential care facilities, health care settings and correctional facilities.  

What if I think my son/daughter requires medical attention?
Some options for medical care should it be needed:

  • Most doctors have access to Telehealth (phone) consultations, please contact your doctor to book a consultation. 
  • If your son/daughter needs urgent medical treatment at a hospital, call ahead to tell them that they are a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19. Use a private car for transport, go by the most direct route and wear a mask.
  • On arrival at the hospital, notify staff that your son/daughter is a contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
  • If your son/daughter has severe symptoms, such as shortness of breath, call 000 and request an ambulance. Inform the call centre and ambulance officers that your child is a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19.

What if I am experiencing concerns about my son/daughter’s mental health?
You may wish to access support through the following agencies:

  • Your Doctor
  • Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
  • Lifeline 13 11 14
  • Mental Health Emergency Response Line (MHERL) Metro: 1300 555 788 or Peel: 1800 676 822

For further information, visit